Sunday, February 12, 2012

Twyla Tharp's The Princess and the Goblin

I don't get to see ballet - ever. But yes, in my younger, healthier days, I did take dance and it did include A LOT of ballet. So I know steps, I know how hard it is to stay "on point", I know the differences in the positions, etc.... and today, it was so nice to just sit and watch and enjoy.

Twyla Tharp's "The Princess and the Goblin" was a wonderful display of story, dance, light and fun. Let me say, first off, that I'm in love with the Lighting Designer. Don Holder made such a magical mix of light for the scenes, the changes, the moods, everything, that the audience was just captured. Every single change in mood, in dance, in spirit was caught by Mr. Holder and it just enhanced the story. The use of the 3 spotlights, the trees on the sides that were used - just everything mixed so well! And the timing was perfect, but I applaud the SM, who was not listed in the program.

The set was definitely built to travel: very simple, very workable, very good use of the stage. My hats off to Caleb Levengood for giving enough space for the dancers to work their magic and at the same time, bring the scenes to life with the lights.

The most adorable little girl in the cast was definitely marked by the entire audience: she was the smallest cast member and she had pig-tails. Just wonderful in the piece! Every child dancer was fantastic, on point, and didn't seem nervous at all.

Richard Burke conducted a wonderful orchestra, and without its music, its sound and its levels the audience would not have had the experience that we had today. And really, a live orchestra just makes everything better. :)

All of 70 minutes of performance, this ballet is very well worth the parking fiasco at the Cobb Energy Center. It's delightful, it's colorful, and its definitely something children of all ages should see. Well done, Twyla!










No comments:

Post a Comment