Thursday, June 14, 2012

"Xanadu" - For my age and the young at heart

My evening started off awful: problems at the house, rain coming in, traffic - just horrible. But I was bound and determined to get to Actors' Express for "Xanadu." And I"m glad I did.

Plenty of seats available, always seeing the theater crowd in the audience there to support and appreciate our industry - I just started to feel better accompanied by a fellow stage manager and a successful music teacher in town.

The show, itself, was directed by Sherri D. Sutton, who I'm not familiar with, my DAMN! After seeing her onstage in an understudy role as Melpomene, I will definitely see her and her work again! She was hysterical, partnered with the always amazing Jill Hames. Of all the characters on stage I always like to single out the working actors, those seen often in town on stage honing their craft - this night it was Craig Waldrip. Always, funny, always focused and always having fun on stage, I watched Craig as Thalia change from one character to another to another, depending on the scenes. Even a one-eyed mythical creature. Props to the leads, Lindsey Lamb Archer as Kira and Jordan Craig as Sonny Malone. A new-comer that caught my eye was Greg Bosworth, the muse of dance. Nicely done on stage, especially with the tap routine. I would have loved to have seen more tap, but with the plot-line of the story and the way things needed to move along, I understand the director's choice in making it short. Christen C. Orr as Euterpe I've seen before and have loved her presence, as I do Al Stilo as Danny Maguire.

The band, led by Musical Director Bill Newberry just brought me back to a better age and time when I enjoyed ELO and Olivia Newton John while sitting in my room in Fort Lauderdale trying not to do homework. The music just got me and my music teacher friend going! We were almost to the point of getting up and dancing ourselves!

Props to the set designer, Phillip Male, for the use of the entire stage, the audience, the house left and the orchestra area. Nothing was amiss and everything stayed in the world of the play.

Of course, props to Alicia Quirk for stage managing an excellent cast and calling a great show. She's very lucky to have them all.

This is a "must-see" in the season of Actors Express. For those of us who grew up with "Xanadu" on the movie screen and remember those days of it being "not-so-good-but-damn-classic" and the music it brought with it, this was the night to make all the bad things go away. For the young people who had no idea who ELO or Olivia Newton John or even Zeus is, this is a fun night to learn new stuff and just watch the reaction to the crowd. Well done to Freddie Ashley and Actors' Express - I look forward to seeing more good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment